Good Friday for cider

I’ve been looking forward to today all week. A day off from work, and a day that I pledged to not work on home renovations. Instead, it has been a day of cheese and cider. After the chickens were let out, I went back in to check on the milk I added culture to last night. All smelled well, so within an hour or so I managed to make it into another cheddar cheese.

Cheese done, in press, time for cider. In a previous post I mentioned a turbo cider I had started back in February of this year. I wanted to leave this cider a lot longer than I had a previous batch, and I thought seven weeks was probably long enough.

After everything was sterilized and cleaned, I started by boiling another litre of apple juice. Into this I dissolved 255g of regular table sugar. The priming mixture was added to a 25L bucket. I siphoned the fermented cider from the demijohn to this bucket, taking extra care not to transfer the spent yeast that had settled to the bottom. By mixing the 24L fermented cider with the juice and sugar, the whole batch was primed. Priming means that you have added extra fermentables (sugars) that the active yeast left in the liquid can convert into carbon dioxide. As the bottles are all sealed, the gas can’t escape and instead you end up with a fizzy cider that not only makes you drunk, but with the fizz, makes you giggly.

The spent yeast left in the demijohn. If transferred to the finished product, the taste would be horrible. Nothing wasted as this ended up in next door's compost.

All of the bottles have to be immaculately clean so that other bacteria or yeast aren’t introduced into the brew. Yeast is all around us as it is airborne. If you don’t take care, these yeast can enter your brew and fight the yeast you intended to ferment your sugars. This could result in a less desirable tasting cider. Traditionally, apple cider was made without adding yeast. The natural yeasts that accumulated on the apples would suffice. With the apples left unwashed, these yeast would quickly get to work turning juice to alcohol. To make my life easier and the kitchen less cluttered, I invested in a bottle tree. This keeps the bottles out the way while drying them. Somehow the cat hasn’t taken a liking to climbing it.

Shame bottles don't grow on trees. Although that would make windy days a little dangerous.

Using a sterilized hose and bottle filling wand, each bottle has to be filled with only a little airspace left. One by one, the bottles are then capped and placed in boxes. This is the moment where everyone in the house suddenly has business to take care of right where you’re trying to fill bottles and keep everything bacteria free. The cat has little interest in alcohol and keeps well away. I think she knows she has certain tendencies and alcoholism  is a real possibility for her. She’s not far from rock bottom as it is; she walks in her toilet (aka little box) and eats bugs off the ground.

The clear bottles must be kept out of the light as it can turn the cider skunky, while the brown bottles prevent light from getting in. The bottles, in boxes, in a dark room works quite well and so far, fingers crossed, we haven’t had anything turn.

Perfectly filled bottle of cider.

A really important part of any alcohol making is quality control. This is the point where you help yourself to a glass of the fresh brew to evaluate its colour, taste, texture…..really it’s just an excuse to have a drink and get a little tipsy at 10am.

Our total for the cider:

2 – ½ gallon jugs
4 – pint bottles
53 – 341ml bottles
2 – 750ml wine bottles (not primed with sugar, otherwise the corks would fly out)
multiple quality control samples

Total cost: $24 or ~90¢ a litre


Half gallon of apple heaven and a following morning of apple hell.

48 bottles of beer in the box. Take one down, pass it around.

For anyone who wants the recipe and schedule:

February 19, 2012:
24 X 1.05L cans of pure apple juice (no concentrate, added vitamin C is ok though)
500g white table sugar (add a little more if you want higher ABV)
1 packet of champagne yeast

Boil 2 X 1.05L cans and dissolve 500g of sugar in it. Add 14 cans of juice in primary fermenter. Temperature of juice needs to be above 20°C. Once liquid is between 20-27°C, add yeast, seal bucket with airlock and wait 48 hrs.
February 25, 2012:
After the brew has stopped going insane with bubbling, add 6 more cans of juice. Let sit for 15-28 days to ferment out (longer the better).
March 18th, 2012:
1 can of juice added to “wake-up” the yeast.
April 6, 2012:
Boiled last can of juice with an additional 255g of sugar. Siphon brew into bucket with boiled juice/sugar. Bottle, age for 3 weeks. Enjoy!
The recipe can be scaled down without having to adjust yeast amount (as low as 3L).